In all the preparation and effort of getting ready for a vacation, it’s easy to think that simply locking the doors and setting the alarm would do all the proper protection while you are enjoying your vacation. The reality is that not bracing your home of its much-needed attention before you say goodbye will leave you vulnerable to all sorts of predicaments.
The good news is that there are a few simple things that you can easily do to keep your property safe and sound while you’re away. Better still, while it’s a good step to have a home security system these days, there are also things that you can do for free to keep your property away from harm while you are enjoying your much-needed vacation. Here are some smart steps that can ease your worry while you are away.
THINGS THAT YOU CAN DO TO PROTECT YOUR PROPERTY WHILE YOU’RE IN A VACATION:
- BE AGILE WHEN IT COMES TO SOCIAL MEDIA: It’s true that these days thieves are using social media as their route to their dirty plan and to determine if the property is a good target. That said, you don’t have to keep your posts to minimum detail while you are out enjoying the good life. Be mindful of your privacy settings in all your social media accounts and don’t allow anyone but your close friends to see your posts. Then you are less likely to draw attention to the reality that you are away from home.
- PLEASE TURN DOWN THE WATER HEATER: Wondering why what’s with the water heater? This is something no one thinks about, but it is a pretty substantial part of powering down your home. If you keep your water heater low will also give you the chance to save money by reducing your electricity or gas bill for the month.
- DON’T EVER LEAVE YOU SPARE KEYS OUTSIDE YOUR PROPERTY: Burglars, like most people, will prefer to enter your home through the front door if you leave a key out or even if you hide it somewhere, they can find it out immediately. So never leave your keys for extra protection.
- PUT YOUR MAIL ON HOLD: Yes, it’s a pain, but it’s worthwhile, especially if you are planning to extend your vacation for some matter. Nothing says that nobody is home like an overflowing mailbox.
- MAKE SURE TO TIME THOSE LIGHTS: Indoor light timers are an inexpensive way to make it look like you are home. A timing unit or device will turn on lights as if someone is there inside your home. Especially, if a couple of lights are going on and off at a different time.
- LASTLY, ASK A FRIEND FOR HELP: Asking for a little help from a good friend is a good idea. Instructing your trusted friend to look for your house for a while is not that hard. The more that it looks like your home, the less likely thieves will think about doing any damage.